Spring is ending, marking the final stretch of the much-anticipated Spring Racing Carnival in Australia. This series of premier thoroughbred horse racing events takes centre stage from September to November, promising a unique and thrilling experience for all who attend.
At the pinnacle of this carnival stands the Melbourne Cup, held on the first Tuesday of November. Locally renowned as “the race that stops the nation,” this event commences at 3:00 pm, captivating audiences with its legacy and prestige.
Here are some fascinating Melbourne Cup facts:
- The inaugural Melbourne Cup took place in 1861
- Kingston Rule set a record with a blistering 3:16.3-minute run in the 3200m race in 1990
- Race Day sees over 100,000 spectators converge at Flemington, with a record-breaking attendance of over 122,700 in 2003
- The 1985 Melbourne Cup was the first race in Australia to offer a million-dollar prize, a figure that has since ballooned to over $8 million in 2021
- In 2023, the first prize for the Melbourne Cup will be an impressive $4,400,000
- Michelle Payne made history in 2015 as the first female jockey to clinch victory, riding Prince of Penzance against staggering 101-1 odds
- International contenders have dominated recent years, with four out of the last five winners hailing from abroad
- Vow and Declare’s 2019 triumph marked the first Australian-bred and trained victory since Shocking in 2009
- Numbers 4 and 12 share the record for the most wins, both boasting 11 victories each
For the CRE team, Melbourne Cup Day is a cherished occasion to come together, don our finest attire, and strengthen team camaraderie.